Park Care or Parksorg was established in 1961 by the D.R. Church to provide care and nursing services to 80 elderly individuals. Since its establishment Park Care has undergone three extensions in 1972, 1988 and 2003 with the original building being renovated in 2005.
Park Care now has 6 buildings on the premises and has a capacity of caring for 310 residents. The centre focuses on providing nursing care to the chronically sick and/or mentally or physically frails persons from the age of 16 years and upwards.
Our 6 buildings names were inspired by beautiful South African flowers:
- Villa Rosa
- Villa Anna
- To offer comprehensive care, safety, protection to the most vulnerable of the aged and frail population and to encourage independence.
- To provide holistic 24 hour, long term, nursing care to our residents of all ethnic groups, religions, races, sexes and income groups.
- To offer supportive services to the frail and disabled persons including rehabilitation, social work services, active aging, counselling, and advice. Further we aim to provide support to the relatives and friends of the residents.
- To engage in our community by providing community outreach services, social, and spiritual improvement of living conditions as well as development and education regarding the management of chronic diseases and caring for the elderly.
- To provide continuous staff development and education in the health sector.
Our outreach programme began in 2012 and has expanded in 2013 with the help of Lotto funding. The Home Based Care Community project is based in the Vrededorp community where over 200 elderly or frail individuals were identified. The programme was started and is run by our social worker Chantall Botha.
Park Care is able to assist this poor elderly community living in council flats with the following services:
- Transport to hospitals and clinics
- Health screenings like BP checks
- Counselling and active aging
- Community awareness campaigns
- Support with administrative tasks like SASSA renewals
- Assistance with home cleaning and shopping
- Personal hygiene assistance
- Soup kitchen deliveries